Helicopter Money

I knew, when I worked my way through "Komivesian" economics, that my theory that money could pay for itself if well invested--that taxes and loans were not required to make such investment--the idea could not be unique--just hidden. Well, I've found it in the


Apparently the discussion has been around among economists at least since Keynes, but I had not stumbled across it. Now, with interest rates near zero limiting what central banks can accomplish with monetary policy, and governments dominated by debt aversion, helicopter money rises above the horizon--at least my own ignorance horizon. With so much that should be done to improve and advance infrastructure around the world and governments reluctance to tax or to borrow at near-zero cost, helicopter money hovers ready to fan the flame of good investment. 

Read this, for example, by Simon Wren-Lewis.


You can read much more, of course, right here of my views on the marvelous invention that is money. The word "helicopter" can be dropped, will be dropped as when we realize that it just reflects a hesitation to believe money can do what it does do. We need only accept money for the magical tool that it is.

No comments: